Director of Security
West Edmonton Mall
Oct 06, 2023
The Director of Security is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the operations and direction of the Security department for West Edmonton Mall and Triple Five assets. This role will work towards maintaining a positive and progressive working environment for the Security staff and ensuring a safe shopping and entertainment experience for the guests, tenants and patrons of West Edmonton Mall Property Inc.
- Providing daily and long-term strategic direction, management and guidance to the staff and operations of the Safety & Security department for all property assets including West Edmonton Mall, Fantasyland Hotel and Triple Five related properties.
- Managing and providing mentorship to all divisions of the Security team including Agents, Surveillance and Communications, K9-Unit, Investigations, and Supervisory level roles within the department and ensuring fair and proper development and performance management is maintained for the team.
- Acting as a liaison with EPS, RCMP, SSIA officials and all other related law enforcement and related authorities on behalf of West Edmonton Mall to ensure proper conduct and protocols are adhered to and positive relationships are maintained.
- Facilitating the Company side of the SSIA review process relating to any potential conduct concerns and ensuring a complete, full and transparent investigation is conducted with appropriate follow up and resolution as per legal requirements.
- Acting as a member of the Company’s leadership team while providing essential reports and information to the General Managers of West Edmonton Mall, Fantasyland Hotel and Triple Five Executives.
- Determining the staffing requirements and set the authorized strength of the Safety & Security department and working cooperatively with the Human Resources Department to ensure effective and equitable Security staff recruitment, interviews, and selection processes.
- Conducting ongoing review and development of Security policies, procedures and best practices including crime prevention processes, guest relations techniques, and all aspects of department and industry specific training and incident reviews.
- Acting as the bylaw administrator for the Security Department with duties and responsibilities pertaining to the City of Edmonton bylaw enforcement on behalf of the City of Edmonton.
- Working in collaboration with the Company’s IT department to oversee the property’s security surveillance systems, emergency responses and communication programs and enhanced security technological industry advances.
- Overseeing all fiscal activities of the Security department including the preparation of a yearly budget, approving all equipment and supply purchases and monitoring of all other expenditures.
- Being called upon to act as a West Edmonton Mall discoveries agent relating to accident, injury, or related claims that occurred on West Edmonton Mall property.
- Responding to inquiries from guests, tenants, and governing bodies relating to Security and acting as a liaison with various business partners.
- Overseeing the personal protection requirements for the assets of the ownership group of Triple Five.
- Any other duties as required.
- Previous managerial level experience within the private security or policing industry with a minimum of 7-10 years of experience overseeing a large staff complement.
- Must possess either a law enforcement/ security diploma, a criminology degree, previous police experience and/or 10 years related security supervisory experience.
- Previous security management experience in a large-scale facility with an in-house security program is a definite asset for the role.
- Must have working knowledge of the Security Services and Investigation Act (SSIA) and associated licensing and be well versed in all aspects of proper and applicable legal procedures and protocols within the industry.
- Formal coaching and leadership training are assets and all applicants must have a progressive mindset and be able to foster a positive and inclusive working environment.
- Have a valid class 5 driver’s license and ProServe certification.
- Must be of good character and be one who acts in a lawful and ethical manner.
- Must have excellent communication skills that include the ability to prepare formal written business communications, public speaking and presentation skills, and have a sound grasp of MS Office programs with the ability to adapt and learn new software and evolving technology in the workplace.
Terms of Employment:
- This is a full time, permanent position that generally works regular office hours, but flexibility is required to provide appropriate support and direction to a 24 hour a day 7 day a week working team.
- This is a salary-based position with compensation based on qualifications and experience.
- This position will be eligible to participate in the Company’s 4-day work week program.
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive security clearance.