Behaviour Detection Agent
West Edmonton Mall
Mar 01, 2024
The Special Operations Unit works to ensure the safety and security of the people at West Edmonton Mall from all criminal acts which includes terrorism and crimes against persons. As part of the Special Operations Unit, Behaviour Detection Agents will interact with guests, tenants and team members to identify potential criminal acts and suspicious behaviour. The Behaviour Detection Agents will patrol the mall and work closely with the Explosive Detection dogs (K9 unit), Patrol agents and Communication agents.
- Deter criminal activity by patrolling WEM, looking for suspicious behaviour and unattended items.
- Conducting security interviews on persons displaying suspicious behaviour.
- Writing detailed and accurate written and electronic reports as required for suspicious behaviour.
- Requesting the assistance of police and other federal law enforcement agencies as necessary.
- Responding according to policy and appropriately deal with suspicious behaviour, unattended items, and vehicles.
- Utilizing quick decision making skills and sound judgment acting in accordance with WEM Security policy and procedures along with federal, provincial and municipal law.
- Engaging in professional radio operations procedures, keeping communication agents, patrol security agents and supervisors informed of all pertinent incidents and activities according to department policy.
- May be required to act as a Field Training Agent, training new members of the team in policy/procedures and field activity.
- Providing outstanding internal and external customer service at all times.
- May be assigned to vehicle inspections and special events.
- Other duties as required.
- Must possess a current Alberta Security Services & Investigators Act License (SSIA), valid Class 5 Driver License, Standard First Aid with CPR-C & AED certificate and Pro Serve certificate.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Post-secondary education in Police and Investigation Studies or equivalent training.
- Must be of good character and be one who acts in a lawful and ethical manner.
- Must have excellent communication skills that include speaking, writing, reading and understanding of the English language.
- Must be pro-active and able to self-initiate work with strong organizational and decision-making skills.
- Strong time management, organization and decision-making skills, strong problem solving, the ability to remain calm and effective in stressful situations as well as an independent thinker with strong observation skills and ability to multitask.
- Holds good memorization skills, prior experience of working in a team, maintain an adequate level of physical fitness to perform duties of position effectively (i.e. timely and effective response to emergency situations.)
Terms of Employment:
- Must successfully complete a rigorous 4 week behavior detection class as well as completion of a 6-8 week field training program.
- This is a full-time position that must be flexible in working hours that include days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to pass a basic security clearance and provide a clear driver abstract.