Animal Health Technologist
West Edmonton Mall
Oct 07, 2022
The Animal Health Technologist position has the primary responsibility of providing quality care to the animal collection, assist on a wide variety of standard clinical laboratory tests and analysis and monitoring the overall health and well-being of our animals at all times. This position will provide the opportunity to gain experience as a care provider for exotic species.
- Performing essential daily monitoring of Marine Life animals to check any pre-existing and/or any new medical concerns, performing essential laboratory tests and analysis, and maintaining proper documentation of medical records and logbooks.
- Laboratory testing and results, medication and prescription administration and assisting during medical procedures and examinations.
- Assist in revising and developing preventative health programs as required along with providing animal health care information and guidance to the Animal Care Attendants and Marine Life staff.
- Being called upon to perform emergency animal first aid and care if required, assisting with the quarantine process for all new and/or ill animals.
- Overseeing animal quarantines.
- Maintaining all medical equipment and instruments, pharmaceuticals, and product inventories.
- Assisting with ensuring adequate Nutrition and diets are being delivered to all species in care facility.
- Maintain animal medical records and communications between veterinarian. Delivering treatment plans to animal care staff and training staff to implement treatments were required.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Diploma in Animal Health Technology with the ability to be professionally registered in the Province of Alberta and membership in the Alberta Veterinary Medicine Association (ABVMA).
- Knowledge on animal restraint, laboratory testing protocols and procedures, and accurate documentation and inventory management abilities.
- The ability to remain calm in high stress or emergency situations relating to our animal’s health and well-being.
- Applicants must be comfortable working in close proximity to a variety of animals and comfortable working in the water.
- Applicant must be able to lift 50lbs.
Terms of Employment:
- This is a part-time position that requires flexible availability including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Drivers’ License and able to provide a clear Driver’s Abstract.
- Must be able to pass a basic security clearance.