Animal Care Supervisor
West Edmonton Mall
Mar 01, 2024
The Animal Care Supervisor provides the animal care staff with training, mentoring, and supervision in all daily operational tasks, including dietary preparation, exhibit maintenance and design, daily husbandry procedures, public animal interactive presentations and any other required operational needs. The Animal Care Supervisor will ensure the programs and daily organization is achieve with efficiency, safety, and outmost care for animal welfare.
- Organizing and supervising daily operation.
- Reporting any maintenance issues and submitting requests accordingly.
- Organizing and communicating with Guest Services and Info Centre as needed.
- Ensuring accurate Marine Life record keeping including requisitions and orders.
- Assisting with the hiring, scheduling, review, developmental opportunities and supervision with the animal care staff.
- Developing and maintain specific training programs to ensure industry guidelines and government regulations policy and procedure.
- Assisting management with planning, design and construction of exhibits while maintaining the facilities through routine maintenance and repair.
- Assisting in managing the life support program including analysis of results and making changes accordingly.
- Leading, organizing, observing and performing for presentations while providing customer service to audience inquiries and requests.
- Maintaining an enrichment system by operant conditioning and training animals for husbandry purposes including medical and cooperative behaviors.
- Maintaining animals and animal care safety through training and protocols.
- Understanding animal needs by monitoring health and collecting and analyzing samples.
- Assisting in managing and performing a comprehensive nutritional program.
- Responsible for training staff to prepare animal diets.
- Responsible for training staff to service all fish and reptile tanks, including monitoring parameters, daily check, fish tanks scrubs and water changes.
- Must have at least 5 years of paid working experience with aquariums, reptiles, and amphibians. Must possess knowledge of fresh water and saltwater aquarium systems. Must have experience working with snakes.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and positive team dynamics.
- Previous experience in a supervisory role.
- Previous experience leading a team.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant biological field.
- Previous experience with public speaking and performing.
- Experience in customer service.
- Rescue SCUBA diver level certification from an internationally recognized institution is an asset.
- Must hold a class 5 driver license.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly.
Terms of Employment:
- This is a full-time position that requires flexible availability Monday through Sunday, including weekdays, weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to pass a basic security clearance and provide a clear driver's abstract (along with a class 5 driver's license).